Friday 19 April 2013

Chapter 11 - In which I return to the C25K with a vengeance

OK, so probably not quite with a vengeance, but I have returned to it. If you look at the time gap between this post and the last, you should be able to work out I've not really done too much in the intervening time. I could blame work commitments (my shifts were a pain in the arse), etc, but in reality blaming it on self indulgant lazyness is closer to the mark.

I only managed to go along to the gym once last week. I did feel suitably guilty about this though, if that makes you feel any better. This week I've went back and decided just to stick to the C25K that I was doing before I joined the gym. Once I'm more comfortable with this running malarky I'll work the gym routine they gave me in around this (the more astute readers may notice I change my exercise plans more often than Kerry Katona (sp?) changes addictions). Since I've not gone entirely without some for of exercise, I decided to jump back in at the same point I left off - week 3. Loaded up the podcast, started up the treadmill, and away I went. You know what? Wasn't as difficult as I expected. That was Monday night. Went back on Wednesday night for week 3, run 2. A little bit harder, but again, not as tough as expected. I may be getting the hang of this. We'll see tomorrow morning when I head along again for week 3 run 3.

I guess what that shows is that although you may not notice the change at first, it starts to creep up on you, and you get a little bit fitter each time without realising it. Happy days. Looking back at the first blog post where I described myself as a wheezy mess, I realise that I'm still a wheezy mess, but it takes longer to get that way and I recover a lot quicker. I'm still not in a position where I can comfortably run for extended periods of time, but I can definately see the improvements and that helps to realise that I'll get there in the end.

Marathons and suchlike

More experienced and smarter people will have touched on this in better read and more thought out blogs than mine, but in the aftermath of the Boston Marathon, and unfolding drama that followed, I sometimes wish that Rufus had been right. It's times like this that the world could do with Wyld Stallyns bringing peace and uniting us all under the banner of rock music. I'm not trying to make light of the situation by any means, but there's an awful lot of folk on this planet could do with "being excellent to each other".






No comments:

Post a Comment