Sunday 12 January 2014

Chapter 14 - In which our hero finally gets back off his arse

Time flies and such like, eh? Once again after that post about intentions and looking to get back to doing something by way of exercise I stop, take a look around, and realise months have gone by. I'm really not good at this whole self motivation/doing stuff thing. Better late than never though apparently.

So then, as it says in the title, our hero (me, obviously) has finally gotten off his arse and started the Couch to 5K again. It began this morning, with my alarm clock set for an early rise to get up and at it. I then proceeded to sleep through said alarm, and so it's off to a good start as usual. When I did get up, it was no time to be going for a run. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't like it would be an actual bad time to do it, but Goals On Sunday was about to start and I had missed Match of the Day, so what could I do? After this, it was almost lunchtime and I had a bunch of housework to do so the run was put off to later in the evening. At this point, old Ally would have put it off to another day, but not this time. Not today. This is all new(ish) Ally. Half five came around and it was time. Podcast was already loaded on my ipod, thermal running tee on, shorts on, shoes on, out the door.

Fuck me, it's cold.

Two minutes out from the house and it started snowing, but that's cool. I'm invincible and possessed of a steely determination. Honest. Well, maybe not, but I was feeling OK so kept going. If you've done the C2-5K before you know how it goes: walk a bit, run a bit, walk a bit, run a bit, etc. You know what, after the first couple of runny bits, I was feeling good. Maybe I wasn't as out of shape as I'd believed.  Ha. That type of judgement is best left to the end, and at that point I realised I was exactly as out of shape as I had suspected. My physical ability, combined with the remnants of a bad cold from over New Year meant that while I maybe wasn't quite breathing out my arse by the end, at the same time it wasn't a cake walk either.

So what did I learn? I learned I'm out of shape - no surprise there really, and the whole point of this is to improve on that, so not exactly something learned. More like something already known reinforced.



No comments:

Post a Comment