Tuesday 26 February 2013

Chapter 4: In which our hero runs in a fog

Everything in moderation...

So far I've written a new entry every time I've ventured out for a run. I'm like that in the early days of anything, excitable and with a "look at what I can do" approach, much like a four year old child that has learned to burp on command. Going forward, that'll probably be dialled back a bit to maybe one or two posts a week. Let's be honest, if it is overdone, that figurative four year old becomes tiresome and stops getting invited to parties.

This week started slowly. A rest day on Monday following Sunday's run, and then another (sort of) rest day on Tuesday. Tuesday wasn't meant to be a rest day as such, but I forgot to turn my alarm back on (back shifts this week) and slept right through to daylight. Don't get me wrong, I had plenty of time to fit a run in before work but there are certain conditions I like to run in at the moment. What I mean by this is darkness. Frankly I'd rather be a bit fitter before I'm running in conditions where people can actually see me so no morning run for Ally.

On to the actual run itself then. I should just point out that the title of this thrill filled installment isn't a metaphor or anything fancy like that, just a meteorological observation. It was indeed a bit foggy. Still, got up, gubbed a few jelly babies for a pre breakfast snack, and out the door I went, for week two, run one. According to the schedule I'm trying to follow that means equal three minute intervals of walking and running. I started off well and managed the first three minutes fairly easily. By the last two periods of running though my muscles were aching and I only ran 2 minutes on the final part. We'll call it week one and a half. I'll see how I get on with friday's (planned) run. If it's the same, then I can always extend the week 2 schedule into next week until I'm comfy with it.

Other bits and bobs...

I'm thinking of trying out some of those running leggingy things. Last week in a dry cold I was fine in a pair of long shorts, but today in the fog I was freezing.

I weighed myself this week for the first time in ages. 15 stone 4. I've put on a stone in the last year and a half (roughly equivalent to the time I started my current job, with all it's sitting around), so this whole exercise malarky is definately required.

As a 36 year old adult, let me just say that Adventure Time is one of the best cartoons I've seen in ages.


No comments:

Post a Comment