Saturday 2 March 2013

Chapter 5: In which we mention Yoda

Do, or do not. There is no try...

The famous words of Yoda, Jedi Master, inspiration to the galaxy at large. I was reading an article in the Guardian's running blog about documentaries, and that prompted me to watch a film called 'Spirit of the Marathon' which follows some runners, of various level of ability, as they build up to running the Chicago Marathon. Now, first and foremost, even if you don't like running it's a pretty good film, and I recommend giving it a watch. Secondly, in it one of the people (I don't want to call them characters) discusses his attitude towards running a marathon, and says that the only real failure is in not trying in the first place. Contradicting everything I learned from Yoda. Turns out there is 'try' after all. Worldview - shattered. This got me thinking about Yoda's words in the first place. I grew up watching Star Wars. I'll make no secret of the fact I'm a big geek. What if after all this time, my lazy outlook is because Yoda has instilled in me an attitude to not even try if I don't think I can do something? Turns out Yoda was a bit of a dick. Don't worry, nerd police, I'm not being serious. You don't have to confiscate my geek card.

On to other matters then. This has not been a good week for my new found life as a born again runner. I've only been out for my second run of the week today, and have been feeling pretty run down and tired all week. I have a suspicion that this can be linked directly to my shift pattern this week though, as I've been working back shifts, finishing at 10pm all week. The other option of course is that it's just my overall fitness level being akin to that of a blancmange. Whenever I'm on these shifts I never seem to eat proper meals, existing on a diet mostly consisting of sandwiches. Due to this, my week two running schedule will be extended another week, as I'd already been thinking of doing, and mentioned in the previous blog. With an overall aim of improving general fitness, and the only organised run I've (ever) entered being in October, I can afford to take my time with building up my running times.

 Anyhoo, keep on rocking in the free world.

Ally.




1 comment:

  1. I have seen 'Spirit of the Marathon' and found it very inspiring myself. I can empathise I think with the unsociably houred shifts and their resultant hampering of a good diet as well. However, rest and recovery is also a vital part of getting fitter, which is why I try not to kick myself too hard if I miss a run or two that I intended to go on. You may also want to check out 'Running on the sun', which is similar to 'Spirit of the Marathon' but is about Badwater Ultramarathon. It should all still be on youtube if you fancy it, but I think it's quite long!

    ReplyDelete